10 minute tweaks to boost your conversion

Disclaimer: you know your market and your customers better than I do. Some of these will likely be different for people who are not pitching products to teachers.

Over the past month I’ve been doing a lot of tweaking of various things on my website, and generally after leaving a tweak up for two to five weekdays (my weekend traffic is highly skewed by the work habits of my customers) I evaluate whether it was effective or not. Its not A/B testing but its, shall we say, empirically driven iterative improvements. (As an aside: I’m sure my Japanese economics professor would say that I’ve just started doing things The Japanese Way (TM), as iterative improvement is routinely credited for everything from the quality of Japanese cars to… the quality of Japanese cars.) Anyhow, there are surely other, better ways to increase your conversions (such as optimizing your landing pages), but you can accomplish all of the following while brewing a pot of coffee.

1) Make your “download now” link an image. This delivered roughly a 100% boost in my conversion rate. Yeah, you read that right. I kept things very simple: it looks like a button (so its obvious you can click it), has unambiguous text (“Download (newline) Free Trial”), and I made it blue, which is figure is a nice inviting color which stands out on a site that tends to orange/yellow/white.

2) Within your main content area, put your goal for that page as the first textual link. This was roughly a 20% increase to the conversion rate. I don’t check what percentage of people get to my download page from the right-hand button versus from clicking on an exhortation in the text (although, come to think of it, I really should and could do that by just appending ?clickedOn=wherever to the link and then browsing Analytics’ “Dynamic Content” data), but systematic use of this convention has helped me alot. Here is my theory: some people will read your entire page, but a lot are just sort of browsing, and they’ll randomly click on whatever looks interesting — and you might as well have that be your goal (purchase or download, as appropriate).

3) There should be a download/purchase link on EVERY page. Want some fun stats? 71% of my visitors who download go straight for the cheese: they arrive at either my home page or an optimized landing page for a particular ad, and their next action is the free trial. What do the other 29% do? They dig around like veritable gophers. I have a non-trivial number of users who hit *every* accessible page in the site before downloading, including a rather suprising number who go through every link in the nav bar in order. And at some point the gophers decide they saw something they liked and convert. This has happened on every page I have written, from my free teacher resources to my about me blurb to… deciding to download after reading my privacy policy.

4) Your main page should have a screen shot above the fold. My program is not much to look at, but the printed output is pretty nice if I do say so myself (not exactly fine art, but it looks well done for elementary school bingo cards). I’ve tested having no screenshots/scans on the front page, having a screenshot only, having a screenshot and scan, having a scan only, etc. And I’ve tested where to put the screen shot. The conclusion: having a screenshot matters, a lot. Suprisingly (or perhaps not, since many, many visitors will leave in literally 10s or less if they don’t see something they like), it really matters that it is above the fold. To the tune of 25%. I put it south of my sales pitch on the main page for 3 days and changed nothing about the site in that time, and conversions nosedived. (Incidentally, I put the scan at the bottom of the page, after discovering having it was better than not having it but that if I put it above the spiel few people would scroll down to read it.)

5) If you use thumbnails, pop-up the full-size version in a new-window. This is probably a function of having non-technical customers, but you would be absolutely shocked at the percentage of users who in 2006 have not heard of the “back” button. I did some analysis on what people did right before they left: the largest group arrived at the site and left immediately. The second largest group clicked on a thumbnail and couldn’t find their way out of it.
Anyhow, you can quickly implement these, wait 48 hours, and revert them just as quickly if they didn’t work. You’ll notice that this data-driven improvement can’t happen without, well, data. Do you have analytics software installed yet? If not, what are you waiting for? (The only acceptable answer to that question: “My Google Analytics invite.”)

No Responses to “10 minute tweaks to boost your conversion”

1. Kris July 30, 2006 at 1:08 am #

Great post… I love hearing about how others are tweaking their sales message to increase conversion rates and trial downloads. It would also be great to hear what sort of traffic analysis tools you are using to form your observations.

2. Patrick July 30, 2006 at 4:11 am #

Oh, thats easy: I use Google Analytics. A lot. Aside from the inherent limitations of Javascript based analytics programs, its pretty nice. The main trick to using it is to figure out how to slice data such that you get stuff which is meaningful to you. Analytics will happily tell you your conversion rate among Swedish users with Flash disabled who arrived from MSN, but thats not a statistic you can use to make meaningful decisions (well, OK, I suppose there is probably a website out there that COULD use it).

I also have the default (cruddy) GoDaddy stats package, which is basically worthless except for tracking the number of bytes caused by .exe downloads, which verifies that people aren’t canceling out of my trial download at an obscene rate.

3. Kris August 1, 2006 at 12:21 am #

Hi Patrick, I am in fact waiting for an invite if you should happen to have some extras laying about!

4. Patrick August 1, 2006 at 2:05 am #

While I would *love* to help you out on that Analytics, unlike Gmail, doesn’t let current users give out invites. However, this might be useful: I got my invite within 24 hours, and roughly two hours after I paid a $5 deposit for Google AdWords. This seems to be a bit of a no-brainer considering how useful Analytics is, even if you don’t ever intend to use AdWords.

5. Julian August 1, 2006 at 8:09 am #

ClickTracks (www.clicktracks.com) would be great for showing the effects of this. The free Appetizer version might do it. Web Log Storming (http://www.tech-pro.net/web-stats-software.html) is what I use, but it isn’t so pretty.

6. Jeff Welch August 1, 2006 at 2:56 pm #

Hey Patrick,

Someone posted a link to this article in the OISV (Organization of Independent Software Vendors) and suggested that you be invited. So if you’re interested in joining a free, non-profit organization full of individuals much like yourself, you should visit http://www.oisv.com/ .

Thanks for the great article.

7. Mr Analogy August 5, 2006 at 2:53 am #

Great articles. Lots of good insights.

My uISV sells speech therapy software, and we’ve got 20 programs.

8. Mr Analogy August 5, 2006 at 3:12 am #

One more thing:

I think that if youré selling a non-trival application (as we are) that the point of the website isn’t just to “get people to download a trial”. That’s almost like a the CueCat thing that Wire mailed to everyone,thinking ïf we just get it in thier hands, they’ll use it”.

I just wonder how much sales material you need to inflict on the customer before letting them go for the test drive. (If I’m WITH them for the test drive, then hop in right now. But I’m letting them take a test drive unsupervised. If they have a problem, they may just give up in disgust.)

My concerns are:
    1. If the customer can’t find “trials”in the menu on EVERY PAGE then they are going to probably have *some* difficulty with the whole downloading and “where did the file go after I downloaded”it sort of thing. (Yes, I that question a lot. Our customers are 40 to 70, usually)

2. I dont’want to be the first download these folks do (and yes, that’s common too).

3. I feel kinda like a dad saying “You can’t drive the car till I explain how to fix a flat tire””.

4. We have 20 programs. We regularly have people install *A* trial and then dont’realize there are 19 MORE programs they could try. I.e., they jumped right into the car without thinking.

We could put a download button on our home page and I’m sure that would increase the # of downloads. But my sense is that just putting a demo in someone’s hands isn’t enough. We need to sell to them a bit.

Our sales cycles tend to be 2 to 4 months (a year or two for hosptitals), so it’s tough for me to test something like making it easier to download.

But… you’ve given me food for thought. I really need to think about this.

9. Phillip Flores August 16, 2006 at 3:26 pm #

Hi,

Just a short note to tell you that I enoyed your post! I have implemented some of the suggestions and let’s see the effect. Thanks again.

Cheers,
    Phillip

10. Trevor August 19, 2006 at 10:13 pm #

Nice article. What was the sample size used when calculating the increase in conversions?

11. Patrick August 20, 2006 at 7:46 am #

“Tiny” ;)

12. Keith August 25, 2006 at 3:50 pm #

TrailPoint (www.TrailPoint.com) is another great analytics service that you could use to track your results for these type of tests. I like it better then Google Analytics because the data can be viewed instantly as the traffic is hitting your website.

1. Patrick McKenzie on Improving Websites Design Through Use of Statistics | Design Matters Japan - April 11, 2010

[...] from “10 minute tweaks to boost your conversion” post [...]