The Visual Impact Stock Icons Make

I posted earlier this week about how I took advantage of icons-icons’s August sale to get a pile of stock icons for $29.95. I just wanted to post why I’m thrilled with my purchase. Here are two screenshots from my program. The first is version 1.03, which is the newest version which is officially available. The second is a sneak peek of version 1.04, which I hope to have out sometime next week. This is the screenshot which directly sells my program more than any other (with the possible exception of the printed output scan): its my interface looking at its best and brightest and it hints to the teachers exactly how much use they can get out of my program. Accordingly, its placed prominently on my website (above the fold on my main page).

Here’s the old version (click to enlarge):

Bingo Card Creator 1.03 interface

And here’s the new version (thumbnail):

Bingo Card Creator 1.04 Main Interface

Now doesn’t that look more colorful and vibrant?

Incidentally, the change to whites in the card preview is a side-effect of changing that to more accurately reflect what things will look like when they are printed. I hope to have a Print Preview feature ready for 1.04′s actual release, but will keep that interface element because it makes my program look more substantial and because it greatly simplifies the workflow if you’re making your own word list.

No Responses to “The Visual Impact Stock Icons Make”

1. Mauricio Macedo August 30, 2006 at 7:13 pm #

Very wise decision! Unfortunately most developers do not value their user interface as much as they should. You are right that this move is certain to impact sales positively. Some people will judge if your program is professionally done or not by the website design and program interface (it takes time to properly download, evaluate and install a program).

I haven’t evaluated your program, but two other features are also loved by users:
    - wizard for the job. As in with three to five steps and small input, the software creates the complete bingo set
    - tip of the day. Showing off all the features of the program (did you know you could do this or that with the program?)

2. Patrick August 30, 2006 at 11:29 pm #

I have wizards, incidentally. Tip of the Day, however, is a pernicious blight on usability. The only reason anyone uses them is because Tucows demands it to get a 5 cows.

3. Patrick August 31, 2006 at 5:28 am #

So apparently this post was linked somewhere, because its getting hit by literally hundreds of people a day, and yet who exactly found it interesting does not show up in the stripped-down referrer log WordPress shows to me. If you’re reading this blog for the first time as a result of this post, could you take five seconds out of your day to tell me where you heard about it? I’m just curious.

4. Rohit August 31, 2006 at 6:16 am #

Patrick,

I found a link to this post in the Newsgroups of the ASP (Association of Shareware Professionals). HTH.

5. Patrick August 31, 2006 at 6:45 am #

Ah, that would do it. Private newsgroups don’t show up in the ping log thingee. Thanks!

6. Ahem September 10, 2006 at 3:32 am #

> Now doesn’t that look more colorful and vibrant?

No. As a matter of fact, these two images have the same MD5 sum, and are hence identical.

7. Patrick September 10, 2006 at 4:35 am #

Ah, oops. See, I had hotlinked one of the images my websites uses for the “old” version and added the new version of that image for the “new” version. When I publicly released 1.04 a week ago I redid every image which showed the old interface, so as not to confused customers. In this case, I did it by copying the “new” version over the “old” version.

8. Patrick March 7, 2009 at 7:22 am #

The Internet Archive Wayback Machine had a copy of the 1.3 interface still sitting around, so I downloaded it and fixed the picture.

1. Yay, 1.04 Out The Door « MicroISV on a Shoestring - September 3, 2006

[...] Beautiful new look and feel courtesy of stock icons [...]

2. How To Successfully Compete With Open Source Software - March 7, 2009

[...] I doubled sales of Bingo Card Creator waaaaay back in August 2006 by adding some more attractive stock icons to [...]