Results of Site Redesign

About a week ago I merged Daily Bingo Cards and Bingo Card Creator, and embarked on a massive site redesign.  I thought I would write a bit about how this improved my numbers.  I have compared traffic to the combined total of the two sites — all other comparisons are against Bingo Card Creator itself, because I am lazy.  These are not rigorously devised statistics — they’re my quick eyeball of typical statistics for a weekday.

Visitors: 900 -> 1,200

Pages per Visit: 2.5 -> 3.5

Time per visit: 90 seconds -> 150 seconds

Trial Downloads: 100 -> 125 to 150 (hasn’t settled yet)

Confirmed Application Installs: 20-25 -> 30-40 (hasn’t settled yet)

Sales: 2 -> slightly under 1.

I’m sort of at a loss as to what is causing the sales to go down.  Its possible that is just natural fluctuation, as all of the pre-sales indicators are way the heck up.  I also might have some folks working through the trial pipeline who remember the old branding and get turned off by the new design (“This isn’t the right site!” is a very serious worry in my market).

A graphic on how well the design focuses user attention, stolen shamelessly from my page on St. Patrick’s Day bingo and courtesy of CrazyEgg (I just upgraded to their $19/month plan because I’m getting too much traffic for the $9 plan to be useful — please, God, send me more problems like that one).  (This image will almost certainly be truncated by WordPress.  Click to see the full sized version.)

St. Patrick's Day click tracking

And one more, because images are fun.  Caution: this isn’t the best test in the world, because I did some significant changes to the sidebar several times while the test was running, and when element IDs change sometimes CrazyEgg “loses” the clicks from some of the views.  (This is so that you don’t see big red splotches where page elements no longer exist, obviously, but it also means that most of the clicks on those buttons aren’t getting shown.)

CrazyEgg analytics of front page

Alright, back to my favorite Saturday activity: doing taxes!  (I got the uISV part done already.  It came out to a bit over $800 on $6,300 odd of profits.  Now I’ve just got to collect a bunch of statements documenting less than $100 in interest and then fill out a bunch of boring administrivia forms.)

No Responses to “Results of Site Redesign”

1. Duncan March 15, 2008 at 7:57 am #

I’ll offer two suggestions as to the decrease in sales.

1. My experience has been that a natural consequence on changing anything on my site results in a decrease in sales which lasts between one and two weeks. This is the case for even fairly minor changes. (I don’t know why this is, but it always happens).

2. I think that your previous site was more suitable for its purpose. It appeared more friendly and I would say trustworthy. I would have felt safer putting my credit card details into the order page.

2. Phil March 15, 2008 at 12:55 pm #

This kind of thing can be frustrating… I had a very poor looking site used cars site, which got decent sales (and also adsense revenue). I then had it redesigned and the new design was 200% better…but for some reason less people listed their cars and clicked on ads…. maybe bad design is a good thing?

3. Yakov March 16, 2008 at 9:17 am #

MySpace may prove that bad design creates a higher page view count.

4. Yakov March 16, 2008 at 9:23 am #

By the way, I agree with Duncan’s second point. Your previous site was friendlier.

There are a couple of things you can do:

1) Change the fonts: Use Verdana, font-size: 75%; line-height: 150%; for the text, and something like Georgia 105% for the headings

2) Simplify the menu — remove at least 1 button you don’t need. You can probably remove “Contact us” and roll it into “Support”.

3) Change the colors — the background on “Make Bingo Cards on your PC” could be a little happier. It needs to look more friendly.

Try an A to B comparison and see what happens. I am almost sure you’ll see higher sales.

5. Clay March 16, 2008 at 9:56 pm #

Thanks for sharing…again!

Pure speculation: There may be a benefit from your previous “more sales oriented” website in that it’s sort of like a “trap”. I mean that in the nicest possible way. Once the user makes the decision to buy and click on that like, all other distractions suddenly disapear (in the old site).

With the new site, the more distractible customers might get distracted away from the shopping cart. I’ve noticed that a fair % of ecomerce sites (including Amazon, IIRC) do this. It’s actually a bit hard to get back to the “main site” other than hitting your back button. That’s a tough call, you do want to facilitate the customer doing what he wants to do, but perhaps if most of your “shopping cart bound” customers want to *stay* there, then you should make it eaiser to stay and harder to go back.

6. Доля May 22, 2009 at 12:19 am #

Много букаф, не осилил Но автору зачёт.