Software For Underserved Markets

They’ve posted my talk at Business of Software 2010.  I highly recommend watching the video first, prior to reading the slides.

BOS2010 was one of the defining moments of my professional career (notes here). I strongly, strongly advise that you come to it in 2011 if you’re interested in taking your software business to the next level: it’s choc full of very, very smart people who are running real, profitable software businesses. (I will probably be speaking again this year, but for longer and with less joking.)

About Patrick

Patrick is the founder of Kalzumeus Software. Want to read more stuff by him? You should probably try this blog's Greatest Hits, which has a few dozen of his best articles categorized and ready to read. Or you could mosey on over to Hacker News and look for patio11 -- he spends an unhealthy amount of time there.

23 Responses to “Software For Underserved Markets”

1. Jason Kolb March 26, 2011 at 2:35 pm #

Awesome preso, congrats on getting top billing on Hacker News :)

2. Olivier Dagenais March 26, 2011 at 4:33 pm #

That was an absolutely awesome presentation!

I agree that it sounds a lot easier to sell to people like “us” and that there’s an awful lot of money in things we overlook/dismiss, usually _on purpose_. I was reminded of this today when my wife noticed in this week’s tech flyers that the iPad 2 could be purchased with a *blue* “Smart Cover”. BLUE!! Meanwhile, my colleague and I were discussing how fast the H264 hardware encoder chip is…

Keep up the good work,
    - Oli

3. Rrrnate March 26, 2011 at 4:49 pm #

wonderful presentation! :)

4. Joe March 26, 2011 at 10:00 pm #

Brilliant. To short though, I would like to see Patric talk for an hour. Great job. Great guy.

5. Alex UK March 27, 2011 at 5:06 am #

Very good presentation. I really enjoyed watching it.

6. Christopher Bruno March 27, 2011 at 4:39 pm #

This is great. My only complaint is : “SSSSHHHHHHH dont be encouraging more competition!!!”

7. Andy Brice March 28, 2011 at 12:14 am #

Great talk! Only a pity it wasn’t longer.

8. Patrick March 28, 2011 at 12:41 am #

If you come to BoS2011, you might get your wish, Andy :)

9. Chris March 28, 2011 at 9:10 am #

Very good talk! I really enjoyed it. Quick question, where did you get your cartoon images for appointmentreminder.org (professional lady, man sitting in front of the computer)?

10. Ron March 28, 2011 at 2:59 pm #

Nice work, Patrick. Enjoyed the talk.

11. Jack Dempsey March 28, 2011 at 7:45 pm #

Patrick,

Content and everything was of course great, but I just had to say: congrats to you for getting up there and doing it. You seemed nervous but still rocked it and I’d guess overcame a good deal of anxiety that day. Inspirational indeed.

12. Patrick March 28, 2011 at 9:58 pm #

Chris: Melvin Ram at http://www.webdesigncompany.net did that graphic for me.

13. Kathy Sierra March 29, 2011 at 10:49 am #

15 slides of pure win :)

Loved it. And I share your feelings about BOS… It was a defining moment for me as well when I was there. Wish I had seem this live, but it is sooooooo useful and awesome regardless.

14. Chris Brogan March 31, 2011 at 12:06 pm #

I am SO impressed with your presentation. I’m a professional speaker and have been since around 2006. You blow me away. What a great presentation. Excellent work!

That’s it. Just wanted to gush a while.

15. Andrew Marshall March 31, 2011 at 12:52 pm #

Patrick, this is fantastic. Not just useful for software; this is universally applicable and so well delivered. I echo Chris Brogan above (who you can thank for sending me your way) – this is an excellent presentation. Not only did it make me think, it left me wanting more. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

16. Dodd Caldwell April 27, 2011 at 6:16 pm #

Hey Patrick. I bought the AppSumo interview you did with Andrew and watched it last week and just watched this video after seeing it on HN. Thanks for posting it. I’m working on a web app that’s geared towards an underserved market – really small nonprofits (most nonprofits have under $25,000/year in revenue.) They’re not just underserved but they are not tech savvy at all – don’t use Twitter, don’t know what words like browser, hosting, or domain mean. Do you have anywhere you can point me to find advice on marketing to a crowd like this? Or do you have any advice? Thanks!

17. Lynn January 10, 2012 at 3:51 am #

Hey!

Great presentation! I appreciate your thoughtful take on this subject and something everyone can use! Keep it up!

18. Adam January 12, 2012 at 6:58 pm #

Absolutely fantastic insight here. Thanks for sharing the slides from slideshare as well, it really helps!

1. Watch the winning Lightning Talk from Business of Software 2010 « Patrick Foley - March 26, 2011

[...] least that’s what Patrick McKenzie says … his winning talk is now up … take 7.5 minutes and just watch it. It’s great – very funny, and you’ll learn [...]

2. Sheridan Programmers Guild · Why write software for nurses rather than doctors or ‘the healthcare market’ - March 26, 2011

[...] http://www.kalzumeus.com/2011/03/26/software-for-underserved-markets/ [...]

3. Hello Ladies! Patrick McKenzie’s talk on software for underserved markets - March 27, 2011

[...] I don’t usually write articles that are just linking to another article, but this is so good it was worth an exception. Patrick McKenzie, a software developer, gave a lightning talk at the Business of Software conference in 2010. At breakneck pace he explains why software businesses should target people the underserved markets that they wouldn’t normally market to. It’s a fantastic talk and pretty short so definitely take a look: http://www.kalzumeus.com/2011/03/26/software-for-underserved-markets/ [...]

4. rekeeb.com – personal blog of Patrick Beeker — Project Morio - March 29, 2011

[...] Morio TweetNa het lezen van een aantal inspirerende artikelen over mISV (“micro-independent software vendor”) en mijn behoefte om weer te programmeren ben [...]

5. B2B Data - October 23, 2011

B2B {Data|Data Services|Data Lists}…

B2B Data can assist hugely in marketing a business….

Free video + email advice on making & selling software: